“[H]is cross…a shadow.” Paul tells us both in Colossians and the book of Hebrews that the Old Testament was filled with shadows of good things to come. You can be sure whenever you see a shadow that there is something of substance close by.
The cross of Christ is outlined throughout the old Cannon of Scripture. Jesus Himself confirmed this when He told the people of His day to, “Search the Scriptures…they...testify of me.” Remember, all they had at that time was the Old Testament.
Let us then seek to see some shadowy shapes of His Cross under the old Covenant. That is, some outlines of the real thing.
1. The Passover Lamb’s blood was put on the two side door posts and the lintel above. The Cross!
2. The Tabernacle furniture was placed so that it made the shape of cross. The Cross!
3. The heave offering was vertical, the wave offering horizontal. Bring them together and they become perpendicular. The Cross!
4. When Joseph’s two sons stood before Jacob, their grandfather, he crossed his arms so that he could bless the second born first. The Cross!
5. Ruth did not lie along side of Boaz, but cross-way at his feet. The Cross!
6. Peter refers to Christ’s cross as a, “Tree.” At the bitter waters of Marah, Moses cast a tree into them, and the waters became sweet. The Cross!
Glory, glory everlasting
Be to Him who bore the cross!
Who redeemed our souls, by tasting
Death, the death deserved by us.