May 17, 2008

*Morbid Anticipation

“…be strong, and be of good courage; dread not, nor be dismayed.” David adopts Moses’ words to Israel to exhort his son. Solomon had a vast undertaking lying before him in the future. And so this experienced, wise father admonishes him to “…dread not.” My own definition of this word would be “a morbid anticipation.”

How can we dread an unknown future, if we truly believe all things are working for our good? As one old-time missionary said, “My future is as bright as the promises of God.” Certainly, this agrees with the wise little saying, “I don’t know what my future holds, but I know who holds my future.”

This is why Jesus instructs us, “Take therefore no thought for the morrow.” To do so paralyzes a person in the present. Take my word for it, I ashamedly confess I know from experience. When we are controlled by dread, we cease to be controlled by Deity. We need not dread. God knows all about our tomorrows, and He has planned for each of them.

C.S. Lewis writes, “Happy work is best done by the man who takes his long-term plans somewhat lightly and works from moment to moment. The present is the only time in which any duty can be done or any grace received.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...