Jul 19, 2008

*Superstitious Saints

To the worldly-wise Athenians, the Apostle said, “Ye are too superstitious...therefore ye ignorantly worship.” Their worship, like much today, had degenerated into superstition. I become superstitious whenever the means of worship is permitted to eclipse the object of my worship. If we are not careful, the means of worship can become like a magical instrument causing us to lose sight of our lovely Lord.

For example, I can become superstitious about prayer. Rather than a means of fellowship with God, it can become like a genie in a bottle, with my wanting only selfish wishes granted. The same is true of the Bible. Instead of allowing it to lead me into a deep personal relationship with my Maker, it can become so mechanical that it actually hides His face and becomes a hindrance instead of a help in my worship. Ministers of the Gospel who are to bring us into the light can so be exalted that God is relegated to their dark shadow.

Let us not make the mistake of Israel of old; they rejoiced over the returning Ark more than the Architect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...