Aug 2, 2008

Count to One-Hundred First

There’s a little home-spun, philosophical proverb that has been around since I was a boy. It goes something like this: Before you say or do anything you might be sorry for later on, first count to one-hundred. That is a wise thing to do, and I’m sure it has helped untold numbers of people.

But something that would have saved me a lot of heartache and grief, had someone thought of it, would have been this: Before you give in to depression, first count one-hundred blessings God has given you. I’m not a psychologist, but it seems to me that depression is basically derived from using a microscope instead of a telescope. It’s zooming in on one particular, minute thing, rather than looking at the big picture.

My darkest days used to be those when I had forgotten all God’s blessings upon my life. During those melancholy times, I’d centered my attention on, and magnify one thing. I could only see the little cancerous cell by itself, and not all the good tissue around it. It is the healthy cells that will help you overcome that individual bad one.

The song writer wrote “Count your blessings, name them one by one; count your blessings, see what God hath done! Count your blessings, name them one by one; and it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.”

Maybe some of us should take a piece of blank paper and write down one-hundred blessings God has given us. It is one cure for spiritual depression that will work every time.

“If I should count them, they are more than the sand.” (Psalm 139:18)

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...