Aug 29, 2008

*Free Will

The sovereignty of God and the free will of man have been argued and debated from early Church history. Good and godly men have held opposing views—John Calvin and John Wesley, to name two. In spite of all the endless debates by some of the greatest minds, it is still unsettled. And I believe it will remain so until we get to Heaven and see them as two separate train tracks coming together in an arch.

Admittedly, I do not understand these two seemingly opposite doctrines, but, at the same time, I believe them to be equally true. Having said this let me give you my personal convictions about these twins, and how they relate to my own life.

Five times it is said of Lucifer (Satan) before his fall, “I will...” Of our first parents we are told, “Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat.” It seems from the first, that each time someone could exercise their free will, they chose wrongly. Therefore, I am fearful of my free will. I find it best to say, “Not my will, but thy will.”
God works in me both to will and do His will. I’m so thankful He didn’t leave me to work out my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...