Aug 31, 2008

*Throw Away Your Catcher's Mitt

“Master, speak to my brother, that he divide the inheritance with me. And [Jesus] said unto him, Man, who made me a judge or a divider over you” They could not get Jesus entangled in the affairs of others. He could have given the right answer, but He would have been meddling in business that was not His own. To have gone out on the limb, so to speak, would have had one of the two parties cut it off. When we invade areas that are none of our business, we do it to our own hurt.

In Richard Carlson’s book, Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff…And It’s All Small Stuff, he has a chapter on this very subject. Though his book is not Christian, it has many Christian principles. One of his philosophical quips is “If someone throws you the ball, you don’t have to catch it.” He mentions our tendency to jump on board someone else’s problem and how we assume, because they throw us a concern, we must catch it and respond. He goes on to say, you have a choice; you don’t have to catch the ball. I’ve made up my mind, and I hope you will, too, that I’m not going to play in that game.

There are bodies who are busy; then there are busy-bodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...