Jan 11, 2009

Generational Songs

While browsing churches on the Web recently, I came across one that advertised, “No worship leader, no worship team, no worship songs.” I chuckled to myself and said, “I wonder if they have a worship service?” I’d be the first to admit that some of the modern-day worship songs are both unscriptural and without substance. But is that not also true of the old ones? Songs such as “A Cabin in Glory Land,” and “There’s a New Name Written Down in Glory,” come far short of Biblical correctness.

Many good churches, as my dear mother used to say, “Cut off their noses to spite their face.” The argument is that the old songs are better. But what they’re actually saying is that the songs from their generation which they were brought up with are better. A woman once told my wife after she sang the old, old, song, “Come, Ye sinners,” that she enjoyed it, but preferred the old ones, to the newer ones. It is well to remember, the songs of today will be the old songs in twenty years.

Isaac Watt’s father accused his son of blasphemy when he started writing church music. He believed the Psalms of David were sufficient. In the book of Revelation we have “The song of Moses” (old), and we sing, “A new song.” Jesus tells us, in His treasure box there are, “…things new and old.” My church incorporates in its singing both the contemporary and the traditional, and I, for one, like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...