May 4, 2009

Cowboy Quips

There is something I’ve observed over my 75 years, and that is this: When Western Movies are popular, patriotism seems to be at its zenith. My daughter Leah gave me a book this past Christmas (‘08) that proves my point. The title of the book is, Cowboy Values, Recapturing What America Once Stood For. Its author is James P. Owen. It’s a must read for all patriots, as well as you cowboy fans. The pictures are worth the price of the book.

In his introduction, the writer says, “It’s time for the cowboy to regain his place as a leading American icon.” He goes on to say of this era, “It’s a culture in which character counts above all.” I especially like the line, “Cowboys stand for something—which means they have a clear, unshakable set of beliefs they live by each day.”

The following are some little quips from the book; they’re given in hopes of whetting your appetite, and that you might receive a blessing.

It’s not how you’re buried; it’s how they remember you.

A cowboy finds out how much a mere human can do, and then they do a little more. They reach beyond themselves.

There ain’t a horse that can’t be rode; there ain’t a cowboy that can’t be throwed.

Always tighten your own cinch.

If you’re lookin’ for a helping hand, try the one on the end of your own damn arm. (Sorry, but this is my favorite).

Do what needs doin’; scratch what needs scratchin’.

It ain’t about the hat and the boots.

Never cut what you can untie. (This is my second favorite).

A man who would die for something has everything to live for.

Never say “Whoa” in a tight spot.

A cowboy knows that the best things in life aren’t things.

‘Pard, you’ll do to ride the river with.” (The highest compliment a cowboy can pay to another—I say it of my wife, Salle, who has been at my side some 48 years).

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...