May 1, 2009

The King's English

Grammarians tell us that the first person pronouns, I and me, are always placed last in compound constructions. But you will not find this so in “The King’s English.” Throughout God’s inspired writings we find Him breaking with this rule. For example, when speaking to Abraham, He says, “And I will make my covenant between me and thee.” Again in the New Testament, Jesus sets aside our so called “proper English” in His conversation with Peter. In the story about Peter finding a piece of money in a fish’s mouth for the purpose of paying their taxes, our Lord says, “…give unto them for me and thee.”

You may have proper sentence structure but with an improper life. My, Me, and I, never come before, Thee, Thou, and Thy. The “Great Grammarian” wrote, “…He is before all things.” We should not only have the right sentence structure, but our lives should be structured according to Him and not the world. That is, He always comes before me. And I don’t give a care what the grammarians say!

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...