May 27, 2009

No Apology Necessary

My oldest son, Andrew, pastors a church in Santa Cruz, here in California. He has some great one-liners, such as: “If love never fails, why try anything else?”; “Having an infallible Bible doesn’t make us so”; and, “You can’t run from your humanity.” But the one I think could be the most profound of all is, “We need to stop apologizing for the Will of God.” Think of it, we often come across as being apologetic for the blessings of God upon our lives. Many, it seems, live in constant condemnation when blessed above some others.

We feel we need to explain to everyone, almost embarrassingly at times, for the good things that have come our way. If we are blessed, we need not be ashamed before the brethren, but simply stay humble before The Blesser. If, on the other hand, God has seen fit to withhold the “goodies” of life, we need not be bitter, but rather content in whatsoever state we find ourselves. This is a great gain in itself; so says the Apostle.

But this truth goes much deeper than material things. Yes, He makes both the rich and the poor, as the wise man says; but it also covers God’s dealings with His Elect in every area of their lives. We are told He makes one vessel to honor, and another to dishonor; He made the seeing, as well as the blind; what’s more, He makes the deaf and the hearing. To those who would question such things, Jesus says “Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own?

Therefore, it is not for me to question, but to obey. And if I am obedient, I can know, most assuredly, whatever lot falls to me, He is the disposer of the same. Or as the song writer so ably put it, “Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say, it is well, it is well, with my soul.” May I ask you a question that Elisha’s servant asked the great lady of Shunem, after the loss of her dearest possession? “Is it well with thee? She answered, It is well.”

You can never lose what you have given to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...