Jun 13, 2009

Inside Issues within the Body of Christ

In the dedicatory of the King James 1611 Bible the translators wrote, concerning those they knew would oppose their work, “We shall be maligned by self-conceited brethren, who run their own ways, and give liking to nothing, but what is framed by themselves, and hammered on their anvil.”

My oldest daughter, Leah, who lives in Ohio, along with my eleven-year-old granddaughter Skyler, surprised me last week by visiting me for Fathers Day. In passing conversation, Leah mentioned a large Fundamentalist school in the mid-west that is attacking Southern Gospel music as being satanic, and not to be listened to.

In all honesty of full disclosure, I must confess, my grandson, Joseph, is lead singer for the Southern Gospel group, The Perrys. But those who know me best will not be prone to think that would bias my judgment. They consider me to be like Vince Lombardi. When a black player was asked if he was fair to all the team, he answered, “O yeah, Vince treats us all like dogs!”

Those who do not care for contemporary music need to realize it was all contemporary at one time. Isaac Watts’ father thought it blasphemous when his son wrote such songs as “When I Survey the Wondrous Cross.” He believed in singing only the Psalms, saying, “You can’t improve upon King David.”

As I’ve said in previous articles, I find that dogmatists on minor issues end up in the dog house. A good example of not thinking things through is the Fundamental, Separatists, who believe their ladies are modestly dressed. But the Amish believe their attire to be worldly; and 1st Century, Christian women would believe the Amish to be so.

In Revelation, we’re told we “Sing the song of Moses.” But we also sing “A new song.” My test of Gospel music is like my test of any other music; Paul, the singer, says, “I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with understanding also.” And this, of course, was done to the Glory of God. Just make sure your heart pants, before your foot pats.

A good rule to go by if you do not like a certain kind of music is, don’t listen to it. I have no right to impose my preference upon others. When people argue that they like the old-time way, they invariably are referring to the immediately previous age. The one that always seemed better than the one in which they now live.

There is no doubt some Southern Gospel is commercialized today. But aren’t profiteering Mega churches and large Christian Schools, also? What of selling “doves” for more than they’re value, in the vestibule of the Temple (books, CD’S, DVD’S, and trinkets)? Be careful when you throw stones; they may boomerang upon your on pate!

As Dr. Bob Jones Sr. used to say, “If an old hound dog comes to town and barks for Jesus, I’m not going to try and stop him.” That’s my sentiment exactly. You might feel differently; and that’s your prerogative. This is just one man’s opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...