Jun 8, 2009

*Transforming Your Prayer Life

A.W. Tozer tells a story of an old minister, whose Christian life was revolutionized. When asked what brought about this noticeable change, he answered, “I simply promised God I would never again pray a prayer I didn’t mean.”

Some years ago while in Ireland, I picked up an old Welsh hymnal; in it is a children’s song I think conveys the old minister’s sentiment. Here is the first verse of it.

I often say my prayers,
But do I ever pray?
And do the wishes of my heart
Go with the words I say?

I may as well kneel down
And worship gods of stone,
As offer to the living God
A prayer of words alone.

For words without the heart
The Lord will never hear;
Nor will He to those lips attend
Whose prayers are not sincere.

Lord, teach me what I need,
And teach me how to pray;
Nor let me ask Thee for thy grace,
Not meaning what I say.

(John Burton 1803-77)

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...