Jul 14, 2009

There is Just Like Here

Before my conversion to Christ, and having been recently discharged from four years in the Air Force, I decided to leave my hometown and live in S. California. My reason, I told my Mother, was that I hated the town in which I was brought up. Her reply, as always, was a simple and wise one: “Son, you’ll find things there are pretty much the same as things are here.” She went on to explain the geographical landscape may look different, but life is the same wherever one goes.

I used to have a sermon entitled, “What Demas found in Thessalonica.” It was from a text found in 2 Tim.4:10. I pointed out that one of the things he found upon his arrival to that city was himself. Remember, part of the baggage you carry from one place to another, is you. A change in geography does not necessarily bring a change in character. If you’re going to move on, make sure you’ve changed before you seek a view change.

The Prodigal found the above truth to be so. In fact, “there,” can be much worse than “here,” if you carry a deformed disposition into the far country. You think it’s bad where you’re at, wait till you get where you’re going! I have found in many cases that a person must first come back to here, before they can move on to their desired there. God is still in the business of calling His Jacobs back to Bethel. It was when Jacob returned to Bethel and his God that he was able to move on with his life.

Obedience gets us on the right road; and it always ends up at the right place!

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...