Aug 15, 2009

A Sweet Tooth.

My sainted mother was addicted to sweets, especially chocolate and little candy orange slices. When it was necessary for us to move her to a Christian rest home, we made sure upon each visit that we brought her some type of sugary delight. I inherited this craving, but now find to my dismay, I’m a border-line diabetic.

Well, God has no such ailment. He is not a diabetic. He loves sweets; you cannot give Him too much. In the Old Testament sacrifices we read of sweet incense,  sweet spices, sweet odour, sweet savour, sweet smell, and sweet wine. Is it any wonder He had an affinity for David, “The sweet Psalmist?”

One of God’s indictments against His people Israel was, “Thou hast bought me no sweet cane.” Not brought, but bought; it’s to cost us something. One of the thrills my mother got when presenting her with a large, expensive box of chocolates was the fact that she knew I’d paid a dear price for it.

This, no doubt, was the secret of how darling David wiggled himself into the heart of God. Let us listen and learn, “Nay; but I shall surely buy it…at a price: neither will I offer…unto the Lord my God of that which doth cost me nothing.” When is the last time any of us brought the Lover of Your Soul something sweet; something that cost us dearly?

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...