Sep 9, 2009

A Shameless Society

“O my God, I am ashamed and blush to lift up my face to thee, my God.” When I was a boy I remember both boys and girls could blush. It was a pleasant teasing point. And, I might add, even adults were not beyond manifesting this crimson glow when finding themselves in embarrassing situations. But it seems to me that today’s society is void of any and all shame. It appears to be a shameless society.

But I have no problem with non-Christian’s losing this essential character trait. That is to be expected; it’s no great shock. But when God’s sinning people are no longer ashamed, and cannot blush before a Holy God, something is drastically wrong. The inability to do so is a mark of superficial spirituality! The Lord says through Jeremiah “Were they ashamed when they committed abominations? Nay, they were not at all ashamed, neither could they blush.”

The problem, says the Lord, was that they didn’t want “…the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein.” Like this present generation, they thought the “old time” way of doing things was out-dated. They follow the proud Pharisee’s pattern, rather than the humble Publican. When you live in Babylon for awhile, you first accept their way of life, then approve it, and finally indulge and enjoy it yourself. When this happens, Christian’s lose their saltiness, and their light is hid under a bushel.

It seems today’s Christian accepts and excuses sin when it has do with them or theirs; but the same sin is condemned when they see it in others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...