Mar 13, 2010

Rhetorical Rhetoric.

A rhetorical question is one where no answer is expected whereas rhetoric can relate to showy language that is empty on insincere. A good example of this is seen in the Garden of Gethsemane when Peter cut off Malchus’ ear. Just prior to this act we’re told, “[Peter] said unto Him, Lord, shall [I] smite with a sword? And [Peter]…smote the servant of the high priest, and cut off his right ear.” This is what I like to call “rhetorical rhetoric.”

Most all of us are guilty of asking God an important question, then acting before we have the answer? We need to follow Paul’s example. He once asked, “Lord, what wilt thou have me to do”? then waited three long days in the dark until God sent the answer and enlightened him. Years ago, when I was a pastor, our church sang a little chorus: “I believe the answer’s on the way, I believe the Lord has heard me pray, “Cast not away your confidence,” saith the Lord my God.”

“Though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...