Mar 23, 2010

You're As Good As Your Word

A person is no better than his or her word. In olden times a man didn’t have to sign a paper, but simply say a word to seal an agreement. God keeps His Word to us, and He expects us to keep our word to Him (and to one another).

Moses tells us if a man or woman makes a promise to God “he [she] shall not break his [her] word.” And the wise man in Ecclesiastes reminds us to perform what we promise God. Far too many Christians make “Fox-hole” promises, but they soon forget. God doesn’t!

Someone asked me if I was going to renew my wedding vows to my wife on our fiftieth anniversary. My answer was, “No, I meant them the first time.” We need to mean business with God. It’s a serious thing dealing with Deity; it’s not to be taken lightly, consequences follow all who do.

A promise made is a debt unpaid. ~Robert Service

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...