Jun 16, 2010

*The Right Smelling Salts

“…as we have received mercy, we faint not.” The “machoism” of today’s world, like many of its humanistic trends, has crept into the Church, putting the creature on the pedestal, and thus, removing the Creator. It used to be, “If I make it, it’s because of God and not me.” Now it’s just the opposite. The teaching in some circles is that the feeble faint and the strong persevere. But I’d like to remind some that strong Samson’s have their fainting spells also.

Steadfast faithfulness is due, first and foremost, to the mercy of God. The best would melt like a snail, if not for His mercy. Paul had that one attribute believed to keep a man going. It’s known by various names: backbone, intestinal fortitude, and, if it’s not too coarse, old-fashioned guts. But it is not to this that Paul attributes his ability to “keep on keeping on.” It was simply and profoundly the Mercy of God.

The reason “mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,” is because it is a pick-me-up when I fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...