Oct 2, 2010

The Secret of God’s Use of Me

Over the years I’ve been asked on occasions both by young preachers, as well as laymen, if there was any secret of God’s use of me. To deny God’s unusual use of this marred vessel through-out these many long years, for me would be the worst kind of false humility. As I look back over my life and ministry, I stand in awe, as do those who know a little of my past circumstances.

I was brought up in a home where the norm was infidelity, cursing, arguing, lies, drunkenness, and hurt. I was molested at the early age of five, and it continued for the next few years. God and religion were never mentioned, unless in a slang way. My schooling ended at the ninth grade, when I joined the U.S.A.F. as a seventeen year old boy, and went shortly thereafter to Korea.

And so, why is it God would use such a one as me? Contrary to many, I do not believe it was in spite of these handicaps, but because of the very fact of them, so that, “No flesh should glory in His presence.”

Apart from God’s Sovereignty, I believe there are seven things from the human standpoint that went into His use of this “wash pot.” (Psl.60:8, a)

Firsst, I gave everything to Jesus Christ from the first. All, then, now, and forever was to be His.

Second, I sought the anointing of the Spirit, and He graciously poured His Holy Ghost upon this dry, thirsty soul.

Third, The King James Bible was, and is, “The Book.” No kitchen knives, as the new translations, but only God’s sharp two-edged sword.

Fourth, To the best of my ability, God’s Glory was to always be first and foremost.

Fifth, I determined to go-it-alone, if need be, whatever the cost.

Six, I knew there would be a lot of knock-downs, so I decided I’d always get up one more time.

Seven, I made it a reality that if I were to ever sin and give it all up, I’d regret it, every day, and the rest of my life.

“God can hit an awful hard lick with a crooked stick, if the stick belongs to Him.” (Dr. Joe Henry Hankins)

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...