Apr 2, 2011

Books and a Bible

The following is a recent e-mail I received from a friend. It is not the only one of its kind that I have gotten over time.

Richard,

I just wanted to tell you how much I'm enjoying the book "Spiritual Depression" by Lloyd Jones. The man certainly rings my bell and keeps me engaged with his thought process as well as his insight to the complexities of this life. It seems so simple as he gives explanation to our weakness and struggles and then how to correct it.

I would appreciate very much, and possibly others as well if you would compile a suggested reading list. I truly love books that make me think and then seek God about a particular frailty or fault that I might have, and I especially love books that get me thinking deeper about my Lord.

May the Lord bless you and Salle for this incredible gift that the two of you have so willing given to others. Christians actually thinking ... and challenging others to do the same, what a novel idea in an age when sensitivity to everything has taken on such a new meaning to the younger generations.

Your friend,

The books I read are mostly practical in nature, even the doctrinal ones. They’re books that help me through my pilgrim journey, hence, others benefit from my writings and council. The intent of my articles has never been to persuade one to adhere to my views, but to get them to think for themselves; “Outside the box,” if you please. But, if one is under a totalitarian ministry or blindly follows a self-appointed Guru, I cannot be of any help.

The following is a brief list of books that blessed my life in one way or the other.

1. Spiritual Depression (Its causes and cure. D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones. I read this on a regular basis.

2. Letters of John Newton. The heart surgeon.

3. Sin and Temptation. John Owen. The man who knows you. Packer’s intro. is worth the book.

4. Pursuit of God. A. W. Tozer. Written while on his knees.

5. Mere Christianity. C.S. Lewis. My constant companion.

6. The Life of Christ and also The Life of Paul. James Stalker. Classic! Outstanding!

7. The New Sovereignty. Reginald Wallis. On Lordship.

8. Farewell Sermons. A selection of sermons given in 1662 by non-conformist Puritan pastor’s to their flocks before being put out to scorched pastures. Their number was over 2000. Heart-breaking to read.

9. The Liberty of Obedience. Elisabeth Elliot. Will make you re-think your strict personal standards.

10. Born for Battle. R. Arthur Mathews. Will revolutionize your prayer life.

11. George Mac Donald. C.S. Lewis. Short sayings, but sweet and wise thoughts.

12. Wounded Heroes. Elizabeth R. Skoglund. Brings out the human part of being a Christian. It’s great.

13. Concise Theology. J.I. Packer. Shot and simple. For lay people and any pastor who likes the “cookies on the bottom shelf.”

14. The Blessed Hope. George Eldon Ladd. The “Historic Pre-Millennial view, one people, one coming. This view was held by the early Church fathers. Not to be confused with the modern-day dispensational teaching.

15. The Pilgrim Church. Broadbent, a Brethren layman. A great Church history book. Easy to understand and grasp.

16. Set of 17 small books on N.T. By Charles R. Erdman. Also, The Disciplined Life. He is one of my all-time favorites writers.

17. No Little People and Letters of Francis A. Schaeffer. His letters are for contemporary Christianity.

18. Enjoying Your Best Years. J. Oswald Sanders. For the elderly, but youth should read to understand where you’ll be soon and how to prepare.

19. The Practice the Presence of God. Brother Lawrence. An all-time Classic.

20. Christian Hymns. Banner of Truth. Welsh songs that have real depth. Great with your morning devotions.

21. Things I Have Learned. Bob Jones Sr. Old fashion character.

22. “Allan” Bibles. The very best you can get. Expensive, but old time stitched pages, plus Highland Goatskin leather cover. Will last a life-time. Bring up site on-line.

Some of the above are out of print, but can be found on-line or in a good bookstore.

Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...