Jul 27, 2011

Weighed in the Balance

“Let me be weighed in an even balance…” An old preacher once told me that the hardest thing in his Christian life was finding the right balance. After more than a half-century of preaching, I can say “Amen” to that. The believer’s life can be a teeter-totter at times. This is especially true in the realm of prophecy. Good and Godly men differ on this subject. But there is a great danger among them of getting off balance by going to extremes, attempting to prove their particular prophetic position. As a result, those who follow them unquestionably end up on a spiritual see-saw.

If you go too far on one position, you’re entire life goes into trying to clean up this condemned earth. To observe these people, it is apparent that Heaven has lost its sweetness. The second extreme is a group who can only talk or think about, to put it in their terms, “gettin’ out of here.” They cannot enjoy anything on this earth that God has given them. They have turned everything over to the devil. The third group can no longer pray, “Thy kingdom come,” for they believe it’s already here. There is no such thing as a future, glorious reign. Thus they lose their anxious anticipation.

I just wonder if all of them don’t have some element of truth. But, since we are such extremists, we have allowed this to throw us off balance. I may be wrong. All I know is that I am miserable whenever I go to seed on any particular one of these. It seems to me that none of the three is complete in itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...