Dec 21, 2011

The Weakest Link

I think the little adage, “You’re only as strong as your weakest link,” to be a true saying. A fifty foot chain with a defective link is not one you would want to hold you while hanging over a thousand foot precipice.

I’m personally inclined to believe the weakest link in most Christians’ lives today is not Bible reading, but in their prayer life. I was shocked to hear my dear pastor years ago say from the pulpit that the greatest failing in his spiritual life was prayer. Now, after half a century of serving the Lord, I too must ashamedly add my own amen to this truthful confession.

When it comes to the subject of prayerlessness, I find I like to talk about it, preach about it, write about it, but do nothing about it! Jesus said, “When the Son of Man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?” The context of this scripture is importune prayer.

A young preacher who lived briefly with us years ago used to sing the song, “Why Worry When You Can Pray?” But he reversed it to say, “Why Pray When You Can Worry?” Very humorous, but sadly to say, very true.

I often say my prayers,
But do I ever pray?
And do the wishes of my heart
Go with the words I say?

I may as well kneel down
And worship gods of stone,
As offer to the living God
A prayer of words alone.



No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...