Mar 8, 2012

Four-Hundred and Ninety Times

“Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.”

My wife and I were having lunch with our elder son and his lovely wife at a quaint little restaurant, not long ago. During the course of the meal (as is always the case; he’s a pastor), we began discussing the scriptures. I mentioned the above text and how I was fascinated, not so much by the one doing the forgiving, but the sorry person, as I described him that keeps sinning against his brother. Andrew mentioned I should do an article on the subject.

I think all will admit there is something drastically missing in the dispositional makeup of a man or woman who is continually sinning against another and asking forgiveness. But what I do not want to admit is that I am that “sorry person” I was going to write about. It seems as I get older, and go on for the Lord that the biggest part of my prayer time and fellowship is spent in saying, “Forgive me, Lord.” And I thank God the answer has been, and always will be, as long as I am in this flesh, “I freely forgive you all.”

I passed the four-hundred and ninety mark long, long ago, but bless His Holy name, He doesn’t keep score!   

“If thou, LORD, shouldest mark iniquities, O Lord, who shall stand?” “But [there is] forgiveness with thee.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...