Mar 27, 2012

An Open Letter To My Black Friend

Dear James,

My blessed mother used to say, “If you’re going to send me flowers, do it while I’m alive.” I thought since we are both “kickin” I’d send you a nice spray. The Bible tells us to give honor to whom honor is due. Well I want to do just that. And may I add, I think it to be long overdue!

As I near the fourscore and five mark in my life, needless to say, I have met and observed a great number within the male race. Out of this great host there have been few I met who possessed the manliness, character and unwavering principles that you own. Whenever I think of you, as well as your lovely wife Dee, and the two grown children, James and Alicia, I think of the word class!

I’ve always liked to think of you as Ebedmelech the Ethiopian in the Old Testament. Just as he pulled Jeremiah up from the miry pit, so you have pulled out untold numbers of souls from the mire of this world. Your long ministry in Norfolk, as well as your dear people can attest to this fact.

James, I thank my God for the day our paths crossed, and the great privilege I have had in serving with you as a bond-slave of Jesus Christ. It has truly been an honor for me. It is wonderful to realize our camaraderie will not end here but will continue on there.

In closing, I think of something I recently heard while watching the western movie, “Rooster Cogburn.” John Wayne and Kathryn Hepburn starred. At the end, they parted ways, but as she rode off, she suddenly stopped and rode back. And what she said to the character played by Wayne I say to you dear friend. “Reuben…I have to say you're a credit to the whole male sex, and I'm proud to have ya for my friend.”

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...