Jul 30, 2012

I Love You

I won my father to Christ and baptized him several years before his death. I also held his funeral. But for most of his life he was a heavy drinker, and as such, did all the things that go along with that life-style. As a boy I remember how he brought untold sorrow to my mother. I do not know the times he said to her, “I love you honey.” After a while, in cases such as this, such words become like “sounding brass or a tinkling cymbal.”

I like syrup, but I like some substance under it. You know, like waffles, pancakes or French toast. I do not order syrup on a plate by itself. Like syrup, love is never solitary; some other item is involved with it. And that component is the element that proves its worth.

God says, “If ye love me, keep my commandments.” Bible love always has actions connected with it (1John 4:19). It is not just some passive attitude. When we say “I love you” to God or anyone else, proof must precede, accompany, or follow close after such a statement. You have to earn the right to use such hollowed words. Love will work itself to the bone to prove itself. Ask Jacob!


No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...