Feb 5, 2013

Destructive Distraction

“And this I speak for your own profit; not that I may cast a snare upon you...that ye may attend upon the Lord without distraction.”

In matters such as piloting a plane, driving a car, or even a simple thing like riding a bike, a brief distraction can be destructive. A wandering thought, a glance backward, a slight nod, any of these can result in an unwelcomed circumstance. It can not only be disastrous to the one, but also to others, at times.

And so it is with a Christian, they cannot for a minute allow anything or anyone to divert their attention away from Christ. The devil will use every means in his arsenal to turn our focus from Jesus, not only by dangling sinful enjoyments before us, but with Spiritual goodies and legitimate causes. Anything to sidetrack us from the Lord Jesus Christ!

When just a boy, my mother and I visited my Grampaw in Kentucky. He was a little man on the outside, but a giant of a character on the inside.  One day he took me to the fields where he was plowing. I remember standing  by the wood fence, wondering how he could plow such a straight row every time. When he came to the side of the field where I was, I asked him how he did it. With a twinkle in his eye, and that distinctive Kentucky drawl, he said, “Son, you just pick you out a post opposite you on the other side of the field, and you don’t take your eyes off it, not for a minute. Need I say more?

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...