Mar 6, 2013

Taking a Step Up

My wife recently inspired me to read the works of an old divine, George H. Morrison. And what an inspiration I’ve found him to be. The ideas in this article I received in reading one of his sermons. He mentions a term the genuine mystics of old used; And I have come to agree with it, “The ladder of prayer.” They regarded prayer as an ascent to God, bearing the soul upward step by step. I have found this to be true both from my own observation and experience. Prayer, like most things in life, has a beginning and conclusion.

There are basic rudiments, if followed, that will lead one to celestial heights never dreamed of. It seems to me the first step is, “God be merciful to me a sinner.” Then, the next rung on the ladder is petitioning the Lord for personal needs in one’s life. The next step upward is interceding for others. And the last and final stage on the ladder is the glorious and triumphant cry, “Not my will, but thine be done.”

Morrison, speaking of when we have reached the pinnacle on the ladder of prayer says, “That is the highest reach of prayer, when it is grasped in the fullness of its meaning. That is something nobler than petition. It is communion with the Father of all spirits.” He goes on, “There may be many struggle before that stage is reached. There was struggle for Jesus before that stage was reached—“If it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.” But when it is reached, then there is perfect peace, and a new light on everything that happens.”

The joy, peace, and contentment small children enjoy is to be found in their trusting their father to handle all the cares in their little lives. And so it is also with us, God’s Little Children.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...