Mar 1, 2013

Word Worriers

“And they send unto him certain of the Pharisees (religious) and of the Herodians (political), to catch him in [his] words.”
 
In our Lord’s time, as today, there were those who were word-checkers. They believed in both political, and what’s worse, theological correctness in the use of terms. Even to the point of ostracizing those who did not use the accepted expressions of their particular groups.
 
Such superior snobs, like fierce animals, lie in wait for their prey to come their way. They’re unmerciful in their criticism; they rip and tear their victim publically, so that all can behold their expertise. Jesus was not threatened by such nonsensical know-it-alls. He was the WORD!
 
I chuckle to myself when reading scriptures that many today would believe to be theological incorrect terms. John said, “Beloved, I wish...” I can hear someone now say, “Wish?” “Do you believe in Aladdin’s lamp, John?” Or when Jesus told the story of the Good Samaritan, He said, “And by chance there came down a certain priest that way...” This was said by One who I think was up on the subject of predestination. Yet, I’m sure, a certain group among us would have been the first to correct Him, saying, “Nothing is by chance.”
 
Years ago, a little boy who was saved in one of my meetings was asked by the pastor who saved him. The lad pointed to me and said, “He did.” The audience gasped, yet he was more scriptural than they. Paul said, “...that I may save some.”  The old-timers spoke of the “baptism of the Holy Ghost,” and the Second Blessing.” Such terms today are frowned upon by these powerless elites.
 
I like the way Dr. Bob Jones, Sr. put it: “I’d rather hear a fella say, ‘I seen,’ when he had seen something, than ‘I have seen,” when he hadn’t seen anything.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...