May 7, 2013

Choice of Means

"God... devises means...” So says the wise woman of Tekoah to David. I’ve never had a problem in God’s use of means, as long as I could be the one to pick and choose them. My difficulty arises when God does the selecting. I speak particularly of three areas.

To start with, I prefer to hand-pick those who minister the Word of God to me. I want to be the one who decides whether it is to be Paul, Apollos, or Cephas. Many of us like to choose our preachers like we do our ice cream; we only like certain flavors. And we refuse to try any other.

I also want to have a say in determining who will rebuke me. I do not cherish the thought of Balaam’s “dumb ass” correcting me. As hard as a rebuke is, I can endure it, but certainly not from one who I feel is inferior to me. Let them be at least an equal, not someone I consider beneath me.  

Lastly, there is this thing of a use of means in healing. I desire God to directly heal me, without the use of any means. I don’t want clay made out of spittle as a means in my healing. Some of us have the same problem Naaman had; we have a preconceived idea of how we are to be healed. Certainly not in the “muddy Jordon.” I don’t know about you, but I don’t like to go to doctors, in spite of the fact the Great Physician Himself plainly told us sick people need a physician. Like Paul needed Doctor Luke, his constant companion.

It’s good to remember, in God’s closet there are a variety of garments He disguises Himself with (the garb of a gardener). And in His tool shed are a great host of devices He uses as means (the pool of Siloam).

“For my thoughts [are] not your thoughts, neither [are] your ways my ways, saith the LORD.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...