Jun 10, 2013

"The Book" and the Books

Most certainly, the Bible is the, “Book of Books!” But this does not abnegate all other books. Even Heaven has other books in its library. Paul was pre-eminently a man of “One Book,” but that does not mean it was the only book he read. Luke records he was familiar with the poets.   

As an old man shut up in prison, and on his last leg, so to speak, he told Timothy to bring his books and the parchments.  The aged saint was reading and writing up till the end. As Calvin said, “Paul has not lost his delight in books, even when he is near his death.”

Good books can make us better people. How many from the past, to this present, give testimony to the fact that it was a certain book that turned their whole life around. Paul seems to bears this truth out. “Give attendance to reading...that thy profiting may appear to all.”

Thomas Boston wrote concerning his reading of good books. “I plied my books. After earnestly plying my books, I felt my heart begin to grow better. I always find that my health and my heart are the better according as I ply my books.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...