Oct 11, 2013

The Downs and Ups of a Child of God

“Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.” The worldling has his or her ups and downs, while God’s elect have their downs and ups. That is, God’s people ultimately bounce back. You know, “You can’t keep a good man down.”

David had his down moments, and he knew God knew of them. God understanding his thoughts, I’m sure, was aware David, like ourselves, wished it were not so. In an old time camp meeting, David would have given a hearty AMEN! to the quartet singing the old spiritual, “Sometimes I’m Up, Sometimes I’m Down, O, Yes, Lord!”    

Is this not why we all love the book of Psalms so dearly? The Psalmist did not go from mountaintop to mountaintop without having his valley experiences. And this was so he might appreciate and enjoy breathing that celestial air once he climbed back up.

In the Christian life, the rule is we’re to be up, the exception being when we’re down; Whenever reversed, there is dire reason for concern. I heard a preacher say once, “I’m never down. I won’t allow myself to be down.” I knew immediately I was listening to a spiritual sham or a self-deceived braggart.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...