Jan 6, 2014

One Thing Or Another

"It's either one thing or the other." I do not know the times I heard my dear Kentucky-bred mother refer to this old saying. Life throughout is ever changing. It is not a consistent this; just as many times it's that. Whichever is our lot at any particular time, we need to learn to adapt. Those who do not adjust, I have observed, are in constant turmoil.

I came up with a little axiom some years ago: "Nothing's perfect, nothing's lasting,and you'll never get it altogether." It is impossible to get your ducks lined up in perfect order, let alone getting them to stay that way. 


You can forget perfection, there will always be a chip, tear, dent, or a spot. You can also rule out anything lasting. Everything and everyone wears away with time. Enjoy it and them while you have them, but don't try to keep a firm grip. Things and people have a way of slipping through our fingers. And as to getting everything all together, even wise old Solomon could not have accomplished such a feat. 


The writer of Hebrews tells us of only One who eternally stays the same. "Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today, and forever." The hymn writer had it right when he penned-

  1. Swift to its close ebbs out life’s little day;
    Earth’s joys grow dim, its glories pass away;
    Change and decay in all around I see—
    O Thou who changest not, abide with me.
  2. Only He's perfection, Only He's everlasting, and only He has it altogether. And thank God, I'm in Him and He in me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...