Feb 5, 2014

A Personal God

“Go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.” It couldn't be any plainer. Jesus says His Father and His God is also ours; and that we, like Him, can have a personal relationship with His Father and His God! This is not something new, found only in the New Testament. The Lord says of His darling David in the Old Testament, “He shall cry unto me, “Thou art my father, my God...”

Interestingly Jesus puts “Father,” first. I knew a saint who always addressed Him in prayer as, “Father God.” I thought then that he should have put God before Father. But it seems now he was more scriptural than I thought. When Christ was asked by His disciples to teach them to pray, He taught them, as A.W. Pink refers to it, “The Family Prayer.” He begins it with, “Our Father...”

And even to this present hour, Jesus Christ is still teaching His followers about this intimate relationship. Paul tells us, “And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba (Papa), Father.” You will remember, I’m sure, this is how our Lord referred to His God in the Garden, when praying in agony, “ And He said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt.” He believed, in the final analysis, His Father knew best!  

O, family of God, isn't it awesome? Our heavenly Father is none other than Almighty God Himself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...