Jan 28, 2015

Bullies in the Christian's Life

I read that at one point in John Wesley's life he had an eating problem. He is purported to have said, "Food is not going to bully me!" As a result, he ate nothing but potatoes for the next two years to prove his point. I do not necessarily agree with this solution, but I do believe we need to stop the bullies in our lives. As long as we cower in a corner and give them their way they will continue to push us around all of our lives.

Peter tells us, "...for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage." Scripture teaches the saints are to be the overcomers. Paul wrote, he would not allow himself to be brought into bondage even to things that were lawful (legitimate). Good sometimes can be a greater enemy than the bad. As to the things of the world, too much of a good thing can become harmful, even distasteful. 

Many of us are way too "Spiritual" when it come to our physical cravings. I like something J.I. Packer said in his introduction to John Owen's book, Sin and Temptation. "I nowadays think the way to deal with temptation is at once to say "NO!" And with that to ask the Lord for strength to keep saying, "NO!" I have found doing this and meaning it, works far better than quoting many scriptures without meaning it.

In India, I'm told, they tie baby elephants to a straw chain to hold them. When older and grown, they never try to free themselves, having come to believe they do not have the power to do so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...