Jan 11, 2015

For the Elect's Sakes

"Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory."

I do not want to argue whether it is free will or God's arbitrary will in an individual's salvation. Nevertheless, it is undeniable, one of the many words God uses throughout the scriptures to describe His people is the term "Elect." Whether Israel or the Church, God has always had but one people. There are not two elects!

Some would rather labor debating sovereignty and free will than answer the searching question, "What am I willing to endure for God's Elect?" Paul's answer was all inclusive, as found in his words "all things." He had proved this on many occasions: by being shipwrecked, thrown into prison, etc. In each incident God's elect were involved.

We hear much sentimental jargon today about being, "Christ-like." I would remind my readers, Jesus was the ultimate in suffering for the "Elect's Sake." He poured out His soul for God's elect. In Christ's case, and Paul's, these chosen were anything but lovable and deserving. On the contrary, we were filthy and abhorring in God's sight.

Addendum: Early this morning (Sunday), I received a call from a dear saint who sat under my ministry when I was pastor, years ago. Saturday, she was rushed to the hospital with acute pneumonia. This morning she was reading my new devotional book, "Breakfast With the King." The nurse asked what she was reading, and when told, she requested it be read to her. The article was about being amazed with Christ. As a result the nurse was saved. My friend thanked God for her situation and its glorious result.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...