Apr 8, 2015

Five Keys to Opening the Holy Scriptures


The First Key...The Scriptures Must Be Read

"And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read. And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written..."

Familiarity with a subject precedes understanding your subject. It is no wonder then that Jesus challenged the people of His day to follow His example: "Have ye not read what David did; have ye not read in the law; Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning; have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God; And have ye not read this scripture; have ye not read in the book of Moses; Have ye not read so much as this..." 

Jesus was literally saturated with the scriptures, so much so that He is refereed to as, "The Word of God." My wife can attest to the fact that my constant prayer is, "Lord, I want to be 'soaked' in the scriptures." Paul admonishes us to, "Let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly." I fear many, if not most, professing Christians are paupers when it comes to storing up God's treasure in their "earthen vessels." A sad testimony is this: "I have nothing to set before them."

I'd like to give you, my readers, the same good advice Isaiah gave the people of his day, "Seek ye out of the book of the LORD, and read." I doubt seriously anyone can be in the Will of God without making much of the Word of God! I want to encourage any and all who have grown weary of the Word, to read David's one-hundredth and nineteenth Psalm. I guarantee, if you're a sincere believer, you will say with darling David when finished, "O, how love I thy law! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...