Apr 11, 2015

Five Keys to Opening the Holy Scriptures


The Third Key...The Scriptures Must be Opened

"Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures."
  
It is not difficult to know when Christ is opening the scriptures to us. Our testimony will be like that of the disciples, "And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us...while he opened to us the scriptures?" Holy Ann, an old Irish scrub woman, could miraculously read the Bible, but nothing else. Her employer teasingly showed her a newspaper in which the word "Lord," referring to a politician, was found. When shown, she recognized the word, but said, "This 'tis not speakin' of me Lord, for me heart does not burn within me when me reads it." 

Great Bible saints, both in Old and New Testament, were fully aware of this. David, a man after God's own heart, penned, "Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law." And Paul prayed for his converts that God would open the eyes of their understanding. We need to pray the Holy Spirit that he would apply the eyesalve spoken of in Revelation, to our eyes, when reading the scriptures, that we might see. May our request be always that of the blind man, when Jesus asked, "What wilt thou that I should do unto thee? The blind man said unto him, Lord, that I might receive my sight." 

Open my eyes that I may see
Glimpses of truth Thou hast for me;
Place in my hands the wonderful key
That shall unclasp and set me free.
Silently now I wait for Thee,
Ready, my God, Thy will to see;
Open my eyes, illumine me,
    Spirit Divine!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...