May 26, 2015

You Pray For Me and I'll Pray For You

There is a gospel song, I believe, that has the words of this article's title in it. To me, this is just one of the many mysteries of prayer. God hearing everyone at once, as if each were the only individual praying, is beyond my finite comprehension. But when we come to these baffling things concerning prayer, it is good to remember, as Moses said, "The secret things belong to the Lord." One of the great hindrances to answered prayer today in this scientific age, I believe, is taking our prayers into the laboratory instead of the closet. Dissecting your prayers will only leave you with a mess and none the wiser. As the old camp meeting preacher said about salvation, "It's better felt than telt." And so it is with prayer, it is better experienced than explained.

Paul told the Colossians in the first chapter of his letter that he prayed always for them, and in the last chapter he requested they pray for him. And this to many who had not seen his face, or he theirs. Likewise, in his epistle to the newly converted Thessalonian believers, right off the bat, he states that he makes mention of them in his prayers. And again, before closing his correspondence he writes, "Brethren, pray for us." Some might think that this is the greater asking the lesser for their help in prayer. But Paul had no such superior attitude. As far as he was concerned, he was "just one of the boys." In fact, "less than the least of them." I learned a long time ago to ask prayer support from any and all of God's people. Somebody might just get through I chose to leave out! 

James tells those scattered saints of his day, "pray one for another." I like to call it, "The Golden Rule of Prayer." That is, you pray for me like you'd have me pray for you. You know the principle, like Ezekiel said, "I sat where they sat." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...