Jun 3, 2015

He Calls Me His Friend

"I have called you friends."

Three times in scripture Abraham is called God's friend. In 2 Chronicles 20:7, it is recorded, "Abraham 'thy' friend"; James 2:23 tells us, "He was called 'the' friend of God"; but my favorite is in Isaiah 41:7, where God speaks directly of the bond between them, "Abraham 'my' friend." I remember well as a young believer how I longed for and coveted that same intimate relationship, but felt the likes of a worm as myself could never attain unto such a high and privileged position.

But one day I was struck by the fact that in spite of all their shortcomings and failings, He called His disciples His friends. Then realizing too, Abraham, our father and example, came far short of deserving to be called "A friend of God." All of a sudden, at this same time, it dawned upon my dull mind, friendship is based on much deeper things than one's flaws and personal deficiencies. In fact, many of the times, if not most, it is these very faults that cements two souls together. The one seeing the need in the other's life for such a camaraderie .  

And so it was in each of our situations, the Lord knew how desperately we needed a true friend who understood our frailties. I know in my own case, when everyone else was going out, He came in! The song, "What a Friend We Have in Jesus" is more than just words to me, it's a living reality. He has proven His friendship to me time and again over these many years. "A friend loveth at all times," means so much to me, especially when I fall into the world's mud hole and have to come before Him all dirty and defiled. 

How I love the line in the children's song, "Jesus loves me when I'm bad, Though it makes Him very sad." There is nothing you or I can do that will ever turn this friend's love from us. 

HALLELUJAH!, He calls us His friends.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...