Aug 4, 2015

Those New Worship Songs

A few months ago, I was searching the Web for Fundamental and Evangelical churches in our area. I came across one strict Fundamentalist who advertised: "No worship team!; No worship leader!; No worship band!; No worship songs!" I thought to myself, "Yes, and I just bet, no worship!"

I am not attempting to convince or sway anyone on either side of this controversy. I will say that both contemporary and traditional have much to be desired in some of their music. I've heard cheap, shallow songs, from both sides. On all issues, be careful you do not throw out the baby with the wash. The truth is, some of our modern-day worship songs glorify God as much as the old ones do.

I have found through the years most who argue for their side, are unfamiliar with the contrasting side. In a meeting, years ago, my wife sang the song, "Come Ye Sinners Poor and Needy." Afterward, a lady approached her and said, "Don't get me wrong, dear, I love your singing, but I really like the 'old' songs better." The song was first published in 1759.

I wonder if some who just like the old, will be happy in heaven? We are told in Revelation, "And they sing the song of Moses." That's about as old-timey as one can get. But John also tells us, "And they sung a new song." Jesus tells us in God's Kingdom there is both old and new. 

It is profitable for all to remember, everything was new at one time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...