Oct 12, 2015

Correspondence

Dear Reader: The following is a letter I responded to concerning revival. I sent it to a few, then thought how it might encourage all of you. Remember when reading it, "It is no secret what God can do, what He's done for other's He can do for you!"

Dear brother...your journal has fed me, encouraged me and provoked me to seek my Father more and more.  I eagerly wait for a new truth from you on a daily basis.  My wife and I will read your blog while riding down the highway at times...such clear and sometimes deep truths...I especially enjoy when you mention revivals of old times.  I have often dreamed and prayed to be a part of a great revival someday. Last Monday we began a service in_______.  We've lost count of the souls saved.  We have never experienced this  before.  The whole service seems to be one big altar call without the call.  They just keep coming.

Pastor a very small church in_____.  I preach very few revivals.  We've been holding services in the mornings at the school and The LORD has moved on students unlike anything I've  ever heard of.  Friday the gym floor was filled with students crying out for God.  It went on for almost 5 hours.  This begins our 2nd week.  Please pray for more souls.  I'm so excited.

Last year was my darkest year ever.  My how the Lord turns things around.

Thank you for your writings...
Bro. ________

My Beloved Brother,
I rejoice with you in God's blessings upon your ministry and His people. I have found our Lord does not bless unblessable saints. That is, you must desire His blessings if you're to receive His blessings. He only pours His heavenly down-pours on the thirsty.

Your letter brought back old memories for my wife and me. Similar experiences as your own, times I like to refer to as, "Times of refreshing." Times hard to believe for many when told, unless they were there or had such-like experiences.

As to Revival, when younger, I studied everything I could get my hands on concerning the subject. Also I had the privilege of getting in on the after-glow of the revivals of the 40's. I was honored to talk with some of the evangelists of that era, knew a few personally, and was called a friend by two or three. One such was my mentor, Dr. Joe Henry Hankins.

My personal thoughts on a spiritual awakening is generally this: 1. It starts with one individual or individuals. 2. It moves into the homes. 3. They take it to church. 4. The city is then infected with it. 5. Finally, it spreads throughout the nation. One thing for sure, if no one ever wants or experiences a true revival, one thirsting, longing soul, can have a perennial revival in their own heart.

It is said that Martyn Lloyd-Jones went to his grave saddened by the fact he had never seen a great revival in his lifetime. This is why it is so important to not set your heart and sights on what you don't have, but rather enjoy what you do have in the present. To constantly major on the former will cause you to lose the latter. 

In closing, let me say you can be assured of our prayers, as the blessed Spirit promps us. Also, I am so pleased that our writings are a help to you both. And as to last year being your darkest, our Lord said, "What I tell you in darknessthat speak ye in light: and what ye hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops." Or as Isiah puts it, "And I will give thee the treasures of darkness, and hidden riches of secret places, that thou mayest know that I, the LORD, which call thee by thy name, am [thy] God." And that, my dear brother, was the reason for the darkness, Bless His Holy Name! 

An Old Disciple,

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...