Oct 14, 2015

Qualifying Love

We hear much today about “unconditional love.” Which to this generation of Christians as a whole means you can say, do, and act anyway you like; and a “I love you,” fixes it all. But Jesus said (He being the world's greatest authority on love), “If ye love love me, keep my commandments”.

Love has to do more with “showin” than speakin.” Interestingly, the scripture records how the Lord Jesus loved people, but not once did He ever tell anyone personally, “I love you.” Why? John tells us in his first little epistle, My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.”

True love is an unselfish giving of your dearest and most prized possession, “For God so loved...He gave His only... Son.” It’s seen in the poor widow who, “...cast in all the living that she had.” It is “...suffering the loss of all things,” for another. It’s saying, “[I] have left all to follow thee.”  And it’s seen in one laying their life on the altar, like the whole burnt offering, keeping nothing back for themselves.

Addendum: dedicated to my blessed wife on this our fifty-fourth year of serving our God together in an equal yoke. Had she never told me once she loved me, I would have known. As they say, “Actions speak louder than words!”  

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...