Jan 11, 2016

The Worm's Helper

"Fear not, thou worm...I will help thee.”

Many years ago, while preaching in Ireland, in my sermon I mentioned a habit I had formed while taking daily walks. If I happened to come upon a dead sparrow, I would bury it in some kind of make-shift grave, remembering our Lord’s mindfulness of them falling to the ground. After the service, an aged Irish friend told me he too had a little ritual while taking his strolls. His was to pick up any worm he might see in the middle of the road, placing it by the wayside.

As strange as my odd practice was, still one might possibly understand it. But for anyone to be concerned with a worm? It was not long after, in my devotional time, I found God also cared for the welfare of a worm. It settled any doubts I may have had. I read, “Thou worm Jacob,” and that, the Lord was “The God of Jacob,” THE GOD OF THE WORM!

I believe we can say it with confidence. In Psalms, speaking prophetically of Christ’s death on the cross, it is written, “I am a worm and no man.” What condescension, what love! He identifying with the likes of us “earthworms.”

Alas and did my Saviour bleed, and did my Sovereign die.
Would He devote that sacred head for such a worm as I?

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...