May 26, 2016

Helpers Along the Way

And Jesus answering said, Were there not ten cleansed? but where are the nine?”

Is Jesus teaching in the story of these ten cleansed lepers that only one in ten will show gratitude to the one who has been a great help to them, along life's long journey? It seems, from my observation, having lived awhile in this old world, this is probably a fact.

Throughout my life and ministry, I’ve attempted to express my gratitude personally, by phone or letter, to those who helped me up and kept me going when things were rough.

Recently, my earliest mentor, who was also instrumental in my salvation, and who was ninety-four, went to be with the Lord. I was his first preacher-boy and the oldest (82) living. I called him at the rest home he was in a few days before his departure, and we had a good conversation. I let him know how thankful I was for taking all the time with me in the early stage of my Christian life. We had our differences, but that fades when one thinks of the person who was there when you needed them! YOU DON’T WANT TO EVER FORGET THAT!

A dear pastor friend, now in heaven, used to say of a preacher he had helped tremendously when a novice, who wanted nothing to do with him in later years, “He has a short memory.” I am afraid this could be said of far too many saints today. We need to follow Paul’s blessed example in Romans chapter sixteen. He names no less than thirty individuals or groups of people who had been a help to him.

“When gratitude goes a person is shipwrecked.”
(Bob Jones Sr.)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...