Sep 16, 2016

Seeking The Wrong Thing

EXPERIENCE IS NOT THE BEST TEACHER

The book of Proverbs teaches the best way to learn is by instruction; the following book, Ecclesiastes, written by the same man, shows experience is not the best teacher. Ask any child who was told not to touch the stove, lest they get a painful burn, but who was dead set to find out for themselves. I guarantee they’ll testify to the fact I present.

THE OLD PURITANS HAD IT RIGHT

I learned a great truth early in my Christian life from reading the Puritans. It has helped me throughout these many years. “We’re to seek the Apostles teachings, not their experiences.” Not only attempting to emulate Bible characters’ experiences is dangerous, but also saints whose lives we read of in Church history. We all need to read more objectively.

IT’S WHAT THEY SAY, NOT WHAT THEY DO, THAT COUNTS

We cringe at the saying, “Don’t do as I do, but do as I say.” Yet this is exactly what Jesus taught His followers on one occasion.All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.” I might add, it is not a question of what would Jesus do, but what did Jesus say?” For example, He drove them out of the Temple with a whip. I wouldn’t recommend that.


No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...