Apr 7, 2017

I'm As Good As They Were...Really!

“I am not better than my fathers.” This statement by the discouraged prophet has more unmined nuggets in it than most realize. Can we take by his saying this there was a time that he did think he was better than his father's? Did he have to be put in a difficult situation to realize and admit to it? And was there still a portion of unyielding pride that would not allow him to go all the way and say, “I am not as good as my father's”?

I have found in both the physical and spiritual world that we also have an “Elijah Syndrome.”

As to the first of these, the physical,how many young married people believe they are just a notch higher than their parents. In such things as; rearing their children, making important decisions, and living life in general. But I assure you, among the honest ones, after they’ve experienced the difficult tasks of their forefathers, they too will say, “I am no better than my parents.” And how embarrassing this is to oneself when admitted.   

Then there is the spiritual realm where we are guilty of arrogantly saying of our forefathers, “They were good men and women, but he or she were “off” on this or that particular thing.” But, after God shows us our hearts, if truly humbled, we finally get to the place where we say, “I’m no better than they were.”

“I am no better than my fathers,” brings you from superiority to equality. Real humility is to say (and mean), “I’m not as good as my father's.” (rds)

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...