Feb 16, 2011

A Change Coming to the Journal

Many have come to think of “The Journal” as strictly devotional in content, and for the most part, they are correct. But for several months now, as the Puritans would say, “my soul has been exercised” in the matter of a broadening of the topics discussed. The word itself, journal, has multiple meanings. It is not confined to, as some have come to suppose, a kind of diary on personal experiences. My home-town newspaper was called, “The Journal,” and I assure you, the topics were legion.

One of the main causes for expanding our subject matter is a statement a dear Christian made to me years ago. After sitting under my ministry in a camp meeting for a few days, he came to me with his wife, introduced himself and her, and then said, “I thought I was going crazy till I heard you. I’ve thought I was the only one who believed like that.” There is a remnant of God’s people today, who are being intimidated by everything from the media, politicians, to totalitarian preachers.

I’m not an authority on the events and issues of our day, but I have an Authoritative Book that is! Paul told the Ephesians that he had not held back anything that was profitable to them, that he had declared the whole council of God. It is not our intent to “ride a hobby horse,” but we do intend to attempt to enlighten the Elect concerning the controversial issues. The above mentioned trio would have you believe only as they do. As someone has said, “An informed people, is a happy people.”

“The Journal” will basically be the same, but will now have issue oriented subjects interspersed from time to time. Some may not like or agree with all I say, that is your right. But my hope is that what I say will make you think on your own, and not let others do your thinking for you. Thank God there are still a few lone voices in the wilderness crying out, “I am not the only one, but I am one.”

“I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. The something I ought to do, I can do. And by the grace of God, I will.”
(Edward Everett Hale)

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...