May 12, 2011

The Elijah Complex

“…and I, even I only, am left.” So says the discouraged prophet. To which God replies, “I have left me seven thousand…” Through the years I’ve observed the ruination of many good churches and ministries who fell into this isolation syndrome. C.S. Lewis says, “The worst sins of men are spiritual.” And the “I only,” I think, would be one at the top of the list.

You’ll remember that if young Joshua could have had his way, no one would have prophesied in the camp but Moses. But the old man set the younger straight concerning this mistake.  Paul thanked God Christ was preached, even when motives were in question. And our Lord told the disciples to leave alone one who was doing a work in His name. Not join him or promote him, but simply let him alone.

An old Methodist preacher used to say, “If a hound dog comes to town and barks for Jesus, I’m not going to try and stop him.” Let’s face it, all of we Blood bought Believers have a little heresy in us, but it will not keep us from Heaven. We need to be careful not to shut out those whom God has not shut out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...