May 22, 2011

Winnie’s Good Advice.

As a boy, during the Second World War, I had two heroes, one on each side of the pond, so to speak. On this side, it was General Douglas Mac Arthur, on the other, Winston Churchill.  The latter, in a speech at Harrow School in 1941 said, “Never give in—never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

I am no super-saint, but I say the truth in Christ, I lie not; I do not know how to quit! I can honestly tell you I have tried on more than one occasion, but never found the “wherewithal” in following through with it. It costs one dearly to do so; but as Ruth, of old, the rewards are worth the price you pay.

People who are constantly re-tracing their steps never get anywhere in life. I often wonder about the lives of those who quit on the Lord. What became of them? There’s no record. All we are told of these quitters is, From that [time] many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him. All one can do is speculate, and I believe you would be close in guessing they spent their lives in regret.

For all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these “It might have been." -John Greenleaf Whittier, "Maud Muller" (1856)

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...