Dec 28, 2013

John's "Wish List"

"Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth." I just returned home from a two day stay at the VA hospital in Sacramento. I needed a blood transfusion (four units) for blood I was losing in my stomach, and naturally, an endoscopy to cauterize the source of the cause. Even though I had been up for twenty-four hours, the night before the procedure, I was unable to sleep, I think because of weakness and anxiety, 

About two in the morning, I turned on the TV, hoping that would possibly help me in drifting off into La-La Land. As I surfed all seven channels, I came across one of the "feel good" TV ministries. For the life of me, I cannot understand how even a novice could fall for that jargon. But as P.T. Barnum is purported to have said, "There's a sucker born every minute." Any worldly con-man would spot such shams. Our Lord told us as much when He said the children of this world are wiser than those of light.

I seriously doubt some Christians put their thinking caps on when reading the Bible. To use our opening text to prove a "health and wealth" philosophy is utter nonsense. John is speaking in a general sense. What would you expect him to say? "I wish above all things you will be in want and poor health?" To ask about one's health was common custom in ancient Jewish correspondence. Evidently Gaius' spiritual state was of such excellence that John prayed his physical health would match it. Or, it may be, John's beloved friend was not well and the apostle was praying Gaius would be as healthy in body as in soul.

The scriptures teach throughout, God's people are still a part of humanity after He calls them out from the world. In one sense, we are nothing like natural man, but in another, just like them. This is so that we can still relate to their infirmities and sufferings. You know, like Jesus came in the flesh to identify with us. From godly Isaac's poor eyesight to Paul's continual affliction, God's elect have always suffered in one form or another. And as to wealth, let us not forget Jesus had to borrow a penny. To by-pass the Cross for a "health and wealth" life is Satan inspired, to be sure (Matt.4 cp. Lk.4). As my dear friend, Dr. John R. Rice used to say, "Healers die also."

No cross, no crown! It's not now, it's later (Ro.8:18). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...